In 1956, Chung Chi College moved to its permanent site in Ma Liu Shui. A train station, called Ma Liu Shui Station, was built to serve the College. From 1 January 1967 Ma Liu Shui Station was renamed ‘University Station’, and so this year the Station is turning 50.
It is worth mentioning that in 2000s the MTR Corporation proposed the West Island Line and one of the stations was planned to serve the University of Hong Kong (HKU). Since HKU is the first university of Hong Kong, student groups of CUHK and HKU had debated online claiming the naming rights of ‘University Station’. Eventually the name was reserved to CUHK.
Ma Liu Shui Station and the undeveloped Ma On Shan (1950s)
Newspaper clipping - Ma Liu Shui Station opened (Wah Kiu Yat Po, 24/9/1956)
Newspaper clipping – Ma Liu Shui Station would be renamed University Station (The Kung Sheung Daily News, 31/12/1966)
Ma Liu Shui Station was renamed ‘University Station’ (1/1/1967)——workers were replacing the train station plate